period can be confirmed from the type of radiator
installed. All the radiators in the Church are
Haden of Trowbridge manufacture, who had their own iron foundry (1874 – 1905) in the town of Trowbridge.
The heating system was
designed as a LPHW open system with a F&E tank
originally using gravity circulation for the
pipework distribution. The boiler located in an external basement room was a solid fuel fired cast iron sectional pattern.
View in Nave looking towards Chancel
pipework is an unusual arrangement that used a
mixture of cast iron and steel tubing with
long sweep pulled bends and cast iron bolted flanges.
The pipework distribution system designed to operate using gravity circulation, comprised
two one-pipe single loop circuits, one either side of the Nave.
Note the cast iron pedestals under the feet of the radiator
probably cast in Haden's foundry
Cast iron 2 column sectional radiator by Haden of Trowbridge
with top fitted air vent. Note the top tie bar.
The original boiler
was located in an external
basement room and was a cast iron sectional pattern.
At a later date the cast iron
boiler was abandoned and
the basement room filled in.
The current boiler installed
in the late 1970's is a steel
cased welded pattern fitted
with an oil burner.
Both the cold and and open
vent pipes connect direct
into the boiler.
A small Grundfos circulating
pump is fitted in the main