St Mary Church
The Church records state "A new heating system was installed in 1882. The same central heating pipes are still in the church and are dated 1880. The inscription on the end headers of the box-ended heaters gives the name of the maker.
MERCER BROS - MAKER - BLACKBURN
In the parish magazine of November 1888 Reverend Selwyn Blackett states that the new system of hot water pipes was the gift of the Sandford family.
This was the Rodgetts of Sandford House.
The two central pew islands in the Nave have a raised floor approx 100mm higher than the adjacent aisles, and it is at this change in height where the square pipework is located in a single pipe loop which is in the form of a ring main routed around the four sides of each pew island. This square pipework has no supports or brackets and rests directly on the tiled floor. Also there is no provision for expansion in any of the long runs. This arrangement appears to work quite satisfactorily and there are no signs of stressing in the socketted joints.
At the tower entrance to the Nave are sited two large box-ended pipe heaters each 5 pipes high by 2 rows deep which are also decorated with chevron plus diamond shaped markings.
Both heaters are piped in series with the square pipework of the ring main and have a flanged stool piece which connects the pipe directly to the box-end of the header.
The circular pipes of the box-ended heaters are covered with diamond shaped patterns.
that Mercer Bros of Blackburn the designers of the
heating system chose
two styles of pipework. Firstly where the pipework is in
an exposed and
position the highly ornate and decorated square pattern
was fitted, and secondly
the pipework was to be concealed behind pews or in floor
standard 100mm dia cast iron was used.