St Paul's Church
Spalding. Lincs

The foundation stone for the church of St Paul was laid in October 1877
and completed in 1879. It was designed by the eminent architect
Sir George Gilbert Scott who designed a multitude of churches
during the latter part of the Victorian period.






Sir George Gilbert Scott often used the heating firm G N Haden of
Trowbridge in Wiltshire to carry out the heating design and installation
for these churches, which included St Paul's Church, Spalding.
The firm of Haden's had a reputation for providing satisfactory  
heating of Churches throughout the whole of the Victorian period
when they installed hundreds of their patented warm air stove
installations throughout Britain.

The firm of Haden has its own Archive of historical records and
memorabilia held in the Wiltshire Record Office, so research
was carried out to check in the original record order book for 1879.
This showed that the two stoves were ordered on 6th November 1879
and given the number of 4494.
Every Haden stove manufacturered was given its own unique number.



The stoves were refurbished in 1910 by the fitting of a new smoke case
complete with mild steel outlet chimney, frames and bolts. The remedial
work was
entered 16th November and given the order number 5512.   










The warm air stove and its arrangement of large builders work air ducts were integrated into the design of the building structure for the church.
These large builders air ducts were routed underground to distribute the warm air into the Church through eight cast iron floor gratings each with an approx. size of 24 inches by 24 inches. The gratings are all positioned in the aisles to the front of the church.






 
View of both front plates & smoke case door


Front view of Haden stove front plates


Smoke case and access door


Cast iron flue from furnace




General view of the furnace room


Selection of the furnace stoking tools.

All photographs of the warm air stoves were provided by HJB/St Paul's, Spalding



JANUARY  2010