|Hen Dy Cwrdd is
designated as a Chapel at risk and was acquired
after its closure in 2005 by the Welsh Religious
Buildings Trust. The Trust conserves some of the
best examples of redundant (non-Church in Wales)
religious buildings in Wales.
Russell & Co Ltd were established by Thomas
Fletcher (1840-1903), who began work as a dentist in
Warrington. In 1865 he was listed in Cairo Street and
in 1871 at 15 Bold Street. By 1876 he had moved to 4-6
Museum Street and was manufacturing dental apparatus.
By the early 1880s he had added a gas appliance
manufactory in Thynne Street, and the 1881 census
records show him employing 10 men, 2 boys and a girl. By 1895 the company had
become Fletcher Russell and Co Gas Engineers, his firm
having merged with Alexander and William Russell of
Pendleton Iron Works. The 1901 directory gives their
address as Palatine Works, Wilderspool Causeway,
Warrington, manufacturing all types of gas equipment
including fires, cookers and water heaters as well as
In the 1950's the firm merged into Radiation Ltd which later went into TI New World, which has gone through many changes and mergers up to the present day.
The original lighting installation for the Chapel was towns gas and several gas fittings and glass shades are still to be seen.
Remnants of the gas distribution pipework can also be seen. It is most likely that the gas lighting and gas heaters were installed at the same time during the Edwardian period.
In 1920 a local electrician installed a DC direct current system and the original switchgear porcelain fuse carriers and jelly mold tumbler switches have still been left in their timber enclosure. A vertical section of timber conduit has also been left in position. The electrician left his name and date of installation written on the timber.
J H Bosner Aberdare 27th February 1920.
The DC system was eventually replaced by the current AC system.