Killerton House Devon






Killerton House and the Estate have been in the Acland family ownership since the 17th Century. The house was built for the 7th Baronet, Sir Thomas Acland during the 1770's, by architect John Johnson.  Several alterations and additions to the property have occured through the following centuries until the house  was given by the family to the National Trust in 1944. The House has had several different occupants during the 20th century and unfortunately these changes of ownership have been the cause for much of the original engineering services being removed.

From observing the style of the few radiators that have survived the house alterations, it is possible to date the installation of the original wet heating system to circa.1900. Sited in the first floor corridor are several beautifully decorated ornamental sectional radiators made by the American Radiator Co. (this Company later became the National Radiator Co and finally Ideal Boilers & Radiators). These ornamental radiators are of great rarity and only one other instance of a similar type decorative radiator has been found.  









    

Italian Flue
Ornamental Radiator



    

National Two Column Radiator



Laundry

The Laundry had a typical Victorian heated drying room which was warmed
by low level cast iron pipe coils fed from a small independant hot water boiler.
                                                                             
       

               Ideal Domestic Boiler         Portway Stove with Iron Warmers
                                                                                 by E Dustin & Son Totnes











The only remaining remnant of the original
DC electrical installation in the House is
this wall mounted control and indicator panel.





Diesel Engine

A workshop was
built on the Estate to house the many woodworking  machines
needed to handle the timber necessary  to maintain the gardens and woodlands.
  The woodworking
machines were all belt driven from
a Ruston & Hornsby diesel engine installed in 1933.

 






NOVEMBER  2004