St Peter's Church.  Fugglestone.  Wiltshire



           
     
The small church of St Peter's in Fugglestone is locked in a little time warp of engineering history. Due to its small size the church has never been converted to electricity, and in the 21st century it still has and uses the original Victorian gas lighting. During the wintertime the church services have to be held in the afternoons as the illumunation level of the gas lighting is not sufficient during the hours of darkness. 

Built in the 13th century of Ashlar and Rubble it was given a Victorian restoration in 1848.
The small village of Fugglestone does not show on most maps, and but for the church the village would have disappeared. The church was used for worship by Lepers from the nearby hospital during the 1200's. It is unusual to find an Anglican church still keeping its balcony, having survived the Victorian restoration, when most of the balconies were removed.  The Church still retains its original box pews.





The Churchwarden's duties include lighting all the gas mantles in time for the Service.


A pictorial selection of the gas lamps in the church



                           The Chancel                                             4 lamp hanging pendant



              Pulpit with wall bracket                                     Twin wall bracket over wall plaque



                        Balcony with lamps                          4 lamp hanging pendant over Squire's box pew




            Typical wall bracket                                        Balcony and ground floor box pews

CIBSE  HERITAGE GROUP
MARCH  2003