- the -
Victorian Family and Firm
potted history about this family of famous engineers
during their lifetime in Trowbridge Wiltshire, Each of
the four generations either starting or ending their
lives in the Victorian era. Spanning nearly 130 years
from 1816 to 1945. Each generation being instrumental in
pioneering advancements in the science of heating and
What makes researching the history of the Haden family and engineering firm so remarkable and enjoyable, is the fact that an Archive of Haden information is held at the Wiltshire History Centre in Chippenham. This archive is dedicated to Haden's and contains a treasure chest full of historical dates, documents, order books, drawings, newspaper articles, pictures and letters.
Many books, magazine and newspaper articles have been written about the Haden brothers beginnings in Trowbridge and their lives working in the County of Wiltshire on the erection of Steam Engines and the repair and maintenance of machinery for the local Woollen Mills.
This short history attempts to draw together various documents, letters, articles and photographs which relate in particular to the four generations of the family who became trusted and respected members of the local community, and to give an insight into their achievements. Showing how George and James and their descendants progressed, by building up a successful Heating & Ventilating firm from the early 1800’s, and later adding its own iron foundry. The firm expanded during the 1900’s into a national company with a network of branch offices throughout the United Kingdom.
The family were deeply religious with a Congregational non-conformist denominational background, who were at the heart of the Tabernacle Church activities throughout their entire lives. Most members of the family at some time were Teachers at the Sunday School and also progressed to become Deacons and Superintendents.
This family history begins with George Haden snr who worked at the famous Birmingham Soho Manufactory of Boulton and Watt at the end of the 18th century.
George Haden (1788 - 1856) was apprenticed at the age of 15 for a period of 5 years to the firm of Boulton and Watt at their Soho Birmingham Manufactory as an Engineer, working on the erection of steam engines. From around the age of 22 years (1809) he was sent out on the road as a travelling agent / engineer by the firm assembling, erecting and commissioning steam engines manufactured by the firm at the Soho works.
His work took him first to the North of England. His first job according to the list of engine erectors (beginning in January 1808) was circa December 1809, for Birley & Hornby in Manchester. He then spent several years in Scotland carrying out the erection of many steam engine installations for the firm. After living away from his home in lodging houses for so long and missing the close family ties of his Father and siblings he became disenchanted. His many letters written to his family read how he became more disgruntled with his way of life and his earnings and must have made these feelings well known to his employers.
So in 1814 Messrs Boulton and Watt sent George southwards to the West of England where there was an ever increasing demand for steam engines needed to power the machinery in the woollen mills being built in the counties of Somersetshire, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire. The woollen firm of J&T Clark had decided they needed to have a steam engine to power their Trowbridge Mill so this became the first engine George had to erect. He was much taken with the town and in a letter to his father dated March 1815 said,
“In the first place allow me to inform you that I scarcely ever saw such a place for business, the town is but small it should contain 6000 inhabitants but I really believe there are 10000 in it at this time”.
There was so much work to be had around the area that it wasn’t long before he was joined by his new wife Ann Nelson (whom he had recently married in Harborne Staffs ) and later by his brother James Haden and set up home in Trowbridge. Their work thrived during the period 1815 to 1820 and their reputation for quality of work is shown by the local business men being prepared to support them financially as given in an extract of a letter written to his father in 1815.
“Several Gentlemen in this town have offered to subscribe together so as to allow me £50 a year to take care of their engines, and as my time would not be half employed in this occupation I should have the opportunity to transact other business, I think to my advantage”.
In the first of his surviving letters written to his father in 1810 he mentions AN and in every subsequent letter he asks to be remembered to Ann and her family so it is no surprise when he marries Ann Nelson on the 1st May1816 at the Parish Church of St Peter's in Harborne Staffs. The wedding must have been a great occasion as the Wedding certificate is signed by no less than seven members from both families. Ann soon joins him in Trowbridge in 1816 and together they set up house. In 1817 Ann and George had their first child who they named George Nelson Haden.
The brothers quickly started to expand their activities to include millwrighting work repairing and maintaining the machinery of the Woollen Mills. They were so busy that they wrote in letters to their Father of the long working hours needed and also while others were able to have Christmas holidays.
“engineers were still required to work”
Tragedy struck George in August 1819 when his beloved wife Ann died suddenly only five days after giving birth to their second child who was named Benjamin. The infant child also died quickly just five days after his mother.
Young George Nelson was only two years old when his mother died and was then looked after and cared for by George’s two older sisters Mary and Sarah, with Sarah carrying by far the largest share of his upbringing. His appreciation of her efforts was to show in later years.
Little is known about why and how the two brothers came to be interested in the erection of warm air stoves and when their working priorities changed towards the Heating & Ventilating side of their business.
From the family letters we first note mention of heating stoves by James in October 1816 when writing to George from Matthew Boulton’s house in Great Tew Oxfordshire. Whether the brothers were making their own stoves at this time or erecting another firms stove is unknown. However, we know that George and James started their firm of G & J Haden in 1816 and stoves manufactured in their Trowbridge works commence from around 1819 as shown in the firm’s order books.
We may be given a clue from a note held in the Boulton & Watt Soho Archive which says,
On 10 Feb. 1830 Creighton wrote to Brown “Mr. Hardwick should by all means apply to G. & J. Haden Trowbridge, who have done much in heating about London, and with great satisfaction. BW&Co. have several years ago ceased to prepare stoves, and in their favour.”
This comment could suggest that George and James were using BW&Co. designs originally but when BW&Co. no longer became interested in making stoves G&J may have taken over the old stove patterns and improved them to develop their own range of warm air stoves. Every stove made by G&J Haden was given an unique number and the first order book lists stove No 1 to a Mr Bythesea of Trowbridge. Stoves Nos. 2 - 6 were erected for the Earl of Pembroke at Wilton House Wiltshire.Times were good for George and James as the order books show that between 1820 and 1855 around 1500 warm air stoves were made and erected. The census of 1851 records the firm employing 83 men at St George’s Works in Silver Street Trowbridge.
George and James carried out the erection of a large number of warm air stove installations in Mansions, Churches, Banks, Colleges and public buildings under the name of G&J Haden, which can be seen in their impressive lists of contracts (of unknown date, possibly 1840's) which was prepared hopefully to influence future clients. Note: in the list of contracts the reference to Mr Creighton of Soho House Birmingham, who wrote the letter to Mr Brown commenting on the great satisfaction with G&J Haden.
|George Haden was a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers for twenty-two years, having joined in 1834 as member No 314. His certificate of membership being signed by the presiding chairman Thomas Telford. He always took a lively interest in the proceedings, but his constant residence in the country prevented his frequent attendance at the meetings.|
The List of His Patents
Number 5773 2nd March 1829 Machinery for dressing cloths
Number 6561 24th February 1834 Machinery applicable to the manufacture of wollen-cloths
Number 7927 8th October 1842 Manufacturing Soap for compostion for the felting and other processes employed in the manufacturer of wollen-cloth
Number 9259 15th February 1842 Apparatus for warming and ventilating buildings
When George Haden died in 1856 the tributes in the obituaries speak for themselves showing the respect and esteem in which he was held by the local community, the industry and his professional Institution.
The following extract from the obituary memoir written by the secretary Sir Charles Manby and printed by the ICE in 1856, gives a word picture of his lifetime of dedication to his work and other duties.
|“He received his education in Handsworth near Birmingham, and at an early age worked in several of the manufactories in that neighbourhood, changing as he became acquainted with the system at each, for the purpose of acquiring a general knowledge of the various branch of manufacture. The information thus acquired, he found extremely useful to him in later-life. At Sir Edward Thomason’s manufactory, he by accident saw a machine and, from memory, made one so exactly like it, that he was supposed to have been employed by some party to pirate the invention; but, on explanation it was found that he had constructed it entirely at his own house, and for his own amusement. This firm perceiving his ingenuity, wished to retain his services, but he preferred engineering, and was therefore apprenticed to Messrs Boulton and Watt of Soho, in whose service his father had been for many years employed, chiefly in the superintendence of the copying–machine business. His energy during his apprenticeship was very marked. At that time the late Mr Brunton was manager of the engineering works, and if he wanted any little matter schemed and fitted up, young Haden was generally employed upon it, and he never hesitated to work all night, and would not leave it until it was completed, frequently working during three nights in a week. On the completion of his apprenticeship he was employed by the firm first in Manchester, whence he was sent for as “the young man who was never tired ” and for them he also erected the first gas-works established in Leeds. He afterwards went to Glasgow for the same firm, where he remained five years, engaged in erecting the Cranston Hill Waterworks, since removed, being the first in Glasgow. He was also engaged in erecting the first pair of engines that worked together, at right angles on board a steam- boat the ‘ Princess Charlotte’ on the Clyde. They were two 4 HP engines and were intended to work each paddle separately, but Mr Haden connected them. He subsequently erected many engines in Glasgow, Edinburgh, and the neighbourhood and, in the pursuit of his calling he was so indefatigable and industrious that Mr James Watt at one time doubted whether he could have been occupied so many hours as were stated; but after examining the books and seeing what was done each day and night, Mr Watt expressed himself as perfectly satisfied, and returned the books with a present in addition to the overtime. One incident will serve to show the active and persevering character of the man. On being sent to repair an engine, fifteen miles from Glasgow, he rode over on horseback in a storm of sleet and snow. He at once took out the piston, when he found a leak in the bottom of the cylinder, as the cylinder was too hot to stand in, he was suspended for twenty minutes head downwards, repaired the leak, started the engine and returned immediately to Glasgow. On his return to England, he settled in Trowbridge and was appointed by Messrs Boulton and Watt their agent in the West of England, including the counties of Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Somersetshire, where he erected a great number of steam-engines for the cloth manufactorys; this engagement continued for thirty-four years, and after its expiration he continued to practice on his own account, taking out patents for the improvement in the machinery for the manufacture of cloth. One of these had reference to the dressing machinery, which by an ingenious system of revolving steam cylinders, on a revolving barrel gave a high lustre to the broad cloth. Another was for the changing the usual gig barrels to certain angles while in rotary motion. A third was for causing the boards and brushes to move horizontally during the revolving motion of the cylinder itself. During this period his attention was drawn to the ventilating and warming of buildings of all kinds, a department of his profession which he followed with great assiduity, and in which he attained a good reputation, being intrusted with many large buildings in all parts of the country. He was engaged with the Commissioners of Prisons, for whom he designed many works, having a patent for apparatus specially applicable to such buildings. Mr Haden possessed great decision of character, and from his long practical experience, had gained an extensive acquaintance with all kinds of machinery, his views on mechanical subjects being remarkably clear-sighted. He was deservedly respected by all who employed him, or who served under him, as being a man of strict integrity and honest of purpose, and who was always desirous of promoting the interests and well-being of others. He was frequently engaged in arbitrations, and was often selected to act as an umpire. He was during the whole of his life especially anxious for the welfare of the young, and for thirty years took the active superintendence of a large Sunday – school. Frequently in his journeys in different parts of the kingdom he met and received, the grateful thanks of those who, in early life had been his pupils, and who had profited by the instruction imparted by him and the discipline enforced. However great his labours might have been during the week he never neglected his work on the Sabbath-day. He was a steady promoter of the education of the people , and all liberal and philanthropic measures were ever supported to the best of his ability, displaying in this the spirit of a Christian philanthropist. As a father he was kind in manner, but firm in discipline, and his decease which occurred on the 29th October 1856, in the sixty-ninth year of his age, left a blank in the family circle which cannot be replaced.|
|The local Advertiser, in alluding to his death says: “ In the decease of Mr Haden, Science has lost an able engineer, society a useful member, and the poor a generous man and sympathising friend. Independently of the benefits he afforded the town from the number of men he employed, and the productions of skill he sent all over the globe, he was always ready to lend a helping hand to any good work. He was religious without sectarian bigotry – liberal without ostentation.”|
|At a special meeting of the Committee of the Mechanics Institution the following resolution was passed: “that the Committee of the Trowbridge Mechanics Institution (on behalf of themselves and the other members of the Institution ) have heard with deep regret of the death of Mr George Haden, their late President, benefactor, and friend and expressing their sympathy the surviving son and other with relatives, they cannot but feel that it must be an alleviation of his and their sorrow, to reflect that the life of the departed was devoted to piety and benevolence, and that as the promoter of every good object, the special friend of the working classes, and the kind instructor and guide of the young, his name will be cherished, his actions live and his example be followed when marble monuments have crumbled into dust.”|
James Haden 1790 - 1871 being a bachelor he was able to be the partner in the firm who travelled the country erecting, supervising and taking orders for the installation of warm air heating & ventilating stoves and expanding the firms business. His travels took him the length and breadth of the British Isles and his notebook shows visits to counties as far apart as Kent and Invernesshire.
James after completing his apprenticeship in 1811 worked in the Soho Manufactory of Boulton and Watt. We know from letters to his brother George that in 1816 he was working at the home of Matthew Boulton in Great Tew Oxfordshire erecting a warm air stove. Another letter in June 1816 comments on several stoves that he is erecting in Oxfordshire when he says,
"I have asked Mr Boulton to allow me to put up warm air stoves about here and he has given leave providing it does not delay his work . I have one under hand now about four miles".
James is still in Great Tew in December 1817 carrying out estate work for Matthew Boulton repairing farm machinery.
From his letters we can see that James is always seeking advice from his brother on many matters including finances, work and employment prospects. In 1821 an example of him seeking the advice of his brother occurs when he is offered employment with the East India Company at their Calcutta Mint. Matthew Boulton writes to James stating,
The Directors of the Honourable East India Company having fixed the appointment of the parties to be employed in the erection and management of the machinery of the Calcutta Mint have authorised me to state that the foreman machinist will have a salary of £400 per annum and his passage provided at the expense of the Company.
As James did not take up this appointment we may assume that his brother George did not recommend its acceptance.
One of James notebooks has survived, which covers the years 1829 - 1832. It gives an interesting insight into his travels and varied engineering interests. This notebook accompanied him on his various site visits to take details about the buildings he was to survey.
the notebook has a strange mixture of information in it ranging from firstly, quite detailed dimensioned survey sketches that he drew, complete with the calculations necessary to establish the size and number of warm air stoves required to heat the premises. Other pages give various scientific technical notes on,
He copied out in detail in his notebook a letter written to the The Times newspaper in November 1841 which gave numerous examples of fires and damage caused to various buildings by 1) Dr Arnotts heating stoves, 2) Perkins HPHW heating systems and 3) over-heating chimney flues. No doubt James used this information when in discussions with prospective clients, to explain and extol the benefits of using a Haden warm air stove.
James Haden remained a batchelor, and apart from his business travelling for the firm, lived the majority of his adult life in Trowbridge. He decided to retire in 1855 at the age of 65 staying in Trowbridge for his retirement. The census of 1861 and 1871 shows him living at Homefield, Polebarn Road. James died in 1871 at 81 years of age.
George Nelson Haden 1817 - 1892 (who liked to be known as Nelson Haden) was the only surviving child of George and Ann Haden (nee Nelson). Born in Trowbridge Wiltshire on 8th March 1817 he was baptised at the Tabernacle Church in Church Street on 25th April in the same year.
Apprenticed for 5 years to G&J Haden when he was 14 years old, and after two decades with the firm he was ready at the age of 39 to take over control of the firm after his fathers death in 1856. Following his uncle's retirement in 1855 the name of the firm changed to George Haden & Son.
On the 30th September in 1841 he married Mary Poynton in the Tabernacle Congregational Church. This was the first marriage ceremony to be performed in the church after the new marriage act of 1837 was passed by Parliament.
Nelson and Mary had 8 children who were born between 1842 and 1852, but tragically only two children survived into adulthood. Particularly tragic was the death of their eldest son George Slade who died at his school when only 10 years old.His wife Mary died on the 22nd April in 1853 at the young age of 43 years.
Later he met Emma Louisa Batley and married for the second time in Bristol during the summer of 1856. She was 28 years of age and came from St Andrews in London. They had 5 children who were born between 1857 and 1863.
The firm expanded and flourished under Nelson Haden's control with Branch Offices opening in London, Manchester and Birmingham.
In 1874 Haden's opened their own iron foundry named St Georges Foundry sited in Bythesea Road Trowbridge. Nelson Haden went into partnership with John Woodfin the husband of Sarah Woodfin. Sarah was Nelson's aunt who had brought up the young Nelson from the age of 2 years after his own mother died in 1819.
All three of his sons, Joseph Poyton from his first marriage, together with William Nelson and Charles Ingham from his second marriage joined and were apprenticed to the family firm.
As Nelson Haden and his father George worked together there was never a need for correspondence to pass between them. Nelson Haden greatly revered his father. In one of the few letters that were written by him to his father, this one on the occasion of his 36th birthday, when he is away working in Taunton he says,
....... I would first name the uniform kindness of a tender Father, to whom judicious training I owe (under God) my present comfortable position. My prayer is that any future life may exhibit in all my actions that gratitude to you my Dear Father for all you have done for me. May our heavenly Father long spare your valuable life .........
Another example of his affection for his father is the dedication of a stained glass window to his Father's memory in the Tabernacle Church. The inscription reads,
To George Haden died October 29th 1856
by his son George Nelson Haden
On the 3rd January 1892 in Trowbridge he died of Influenza aged 73 years in. His wife Emma survived him and lived until 1901 when she died at the age of 73 years on 9th June.
William Nelson Haden 1859 - 1946 was born on March 10th 1859 at Homefield House Trowbridge. He was the 7th son of George Nelson Haden but the second son of his second marriage.
His education started at home where he was taught at an early age by his step-sister Marianne (who was a teacher at the local school). In 1868 he became a weekly boarder at a Preparatory School in Devizes until 1871, then progressed on to Grosvenor Road School in Bath.
He completed his education at Oakley House Caversham Nr. Reading leaving in 1875. William was a keen athlete at this school winning the 100yards, coming second in the 200 yards and 1/4 mile.
Whilst on holiday in Ilfracombe in 1868 with his parents he returned with his father to attend the funeral of his great aunt Sarah Woodfin. Sarah was his father George Nelson's aunt who had become his surrogate mother when his own mother died.
After leaving school in 1875 William commenced his apprenticeship with the firm on 1st October for a period of 5 years and started work in the Pattern Shop. Although trained in the firm's works, he then worked on the design of steam engines and machinery for the cloth mills.
After the death of their father in 1892 the three sons Joseph Poynton, William Nelson and Charles Ingham entered into a partnership on 10th August 1893. The partnership was to be effective from 31st March 1892 for 7 years. A further partnership of the firm was made with his brother Charles in 1912 to take effect from 31st March for 10 years.
He met Jeanie Denholm who came from Bo'ness in Scotland and they were married there on the19th March 1897. William and Jeanie had four children between 1898 and 1905.
William greatly increased the firms involment with the heating of buildings by both air and water. Under his direction the firm expanded its activities until it achieved a leading position in the industry during the early 1900's in the areas of heating, ventilating and air conditioning. Becoming Chairman and Joint Managing Director of the company in 1919, he held the posts until his retirement in June 1933.
William was an active member of the Institution of Heating and Ventilating Engineers being elected a member in September 1902, then soon being made President in February 1906. He gave as his presidential address "Standards, legislation - suggested lines of development". He remained president the following year due to the intended president A Basil Simpson being abroad. Appointed honourary treasurer of the Institution in February 1909 (when the membership was 275), he held this post for 34 years until retiring in 1943.
He was a keen supporter of the Institution's summer meeting. In his first year as President the summer meeting was held at the Empire Hotel in Bath followed by an excursion train special to Trowbridge then a coach and horses trip to Longleat House. In the second year as president the meeting was followed by a river trip on theThames from Windsor to Hampton Court.
In recognition of his services to the Institution in 1943 William was awarded the highest honour by the Institution of its Gold Medal which was presented to him by IHVE President Dr Oscar Faber in 1945 at the annual meeting and luncheon. He was keenly interested in education and training at both national and local levels, and a William Nelson Haden fund was created by the Institution to provide scholarships to students training in the H&V industry.
was also an active member of the local community
and involved with many public duties for the
County and Town serving on their committees as,
The opening took place on the 22nd July and the first band to perform that evening was the band of HM Royal Artillery Portsmouth. At that time it was said to be one of the finest bandstands in the West Country.
Charles Ingham Haden 1863 - 1947 was born on 2nd June 1863 in Trowbridge and baptised in the Congregational Tabernacle Church on 26th July in the same year.
After his education he joined the family firm as an apprentice for 5 years from 1880 to 1884 then serving as a draughtsman until becoming a partner in the firm in 1892 and placed in charge of contracts. Under his direction many new prestigious contracts were installed including the University of Leeds, St. Bartholomew's Hospital, St Paul's Cathedral and Cheltenham Town Hall.
He married Amy Tarrant in Derby in 1881 who sadly died young aged 32 in 1889. Charles married again in the spring of 1893 Rosa Maria Soundy in Trinity Church Reading Berkshire. They had three children born between 1894 and 1901. After the death of his wife Rosa in July 1937, Charles in 1938 had the Tabernacle Cottages completely reconstructed as a memorial to her. An inscribed wall stone was placed in the external wall to acknowledge these works.
When the firm was incorporated in 1919 he became joint Managing Director of the firm and took charge of the contracting branch of the company. He became Chairman of the company in 1933 upon the retirement of his brother, a post he then held until his own retirement in 1938.
Charles was an active member of the Institution of Heating and Ventilating Engineers being elected a member in September 1902, and being made President in February 1910. He gave as his presidential address "Ventilation of Schools".
Charles was also an active member of the local community and involved with several public duties for the County and Town serving on their committees as,
George Nelson Haden 1900 - 1960 (who also liked to be known as Nelson) was born on 9th March 1900 in Trowbridge and baptised in the Congregational Tabernacle Church on 13th May in the same year.
He was educated at Mill Hill School and after leaving attended the University of Manchester studying for a BSc Degree in Engineering. After graduation he resided in the United States for a time where he worked for the American District Steam Company of Tonawanda New York as a draughtsman involved with district heating installations, and also worked for the Detroit Edison Company. Returning to Britain in 1923 he joined the family firm.
Whilst at Manchester University, Nelson met another graduate Phylis Jean Mudie who was studying History and they married on 10th January 1924. They had four daughters born between 1924 and 1934.
Nelson was an active member of the Institution of Heating and Ventilating Engineers, elected an associate member in September 1924, became a member in 1925 and elected to council in 1932. He served on the Technical Education, Examinations Board, Scrutineers-Membership, Research and Reception Committees. He became President in February 1938.
He gave as his presidential address "Aims and Objects of the Institution".
As the firm activities were increasingly being centred upon the new head office in London, Nelson moved with his family to London in 1929.
Most likely because of his previous knowledge and experience gained in the United States with district heating, in 1947 he was appointed by the then Ministry of Fuel and Power to be a member of a Commission that visited the USA, to study District Heating in American Housing.
He also was an active and popular member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers becoming an Associate in 1936 transferring to member in 1939. From 1947 to 1957 he was a member of Council during which time he served on the Membership, Finance and House, and Local Branches Committees.
Nelson was awarded the OBE in 1948 for services to industry. In recognition of his achievements and services to the Institution and the H&V industry he was awarded the Institution of Heating and Ventilating Engineers highest honour of their gold medal in 1959.
Similar to William Haden his father, he was particularly interested in education and was a nominee to the board of governors of the National College.
He retired from the Chairmanship of the firm and left the company in 1958 due to ill health. He died in London on 30th July 1960. The obituary in The Times newspaper dated 16th August 1960 concluded with these words
“In these varied activities Nelson Haden’s dominant qualities of humanity, warm friendship, and a gift for wise counsel made him a much loved colleague to a large circle. He knew where the real values lie – he did much good that will abide”
An extract from the Wiltshire Times summarizes the significant and important contribution the
Haden firm and family made to the town of Trowbridge for nearly 130 years.
The disappearance of Hadens from the Industrial life of Trowbridge in 1945 was the severing of a link with a firm and a family which had played an outstanding part in the town’s affairs for over a century, and had made the name of Trowbridge known far and wide on almost as large a scale as the reputation of Trowbridge woollen cloth.
In 1814 the woollen firm of J & T Clark decided they must install a steam engine in their Trowbridge Mill, and ordered one from the famous firm of Boulton and Watt. The firm sent a young engineer, George Haden to supervise the work. The machine was in use by 1815, but George Haden saw an opening in Trowbridge and settled in the town to found his own business. For some years he specialised in steam engines and accessories for the local factories, but in due course the firm he founded developed into one specialising in heating systems. Among the many large contracts secured by Haden’s were the installation of heating in the new Law Courts in the Strand London; the new Liverpool Anglican Cathedral ; and the Northern Ireland Parliament building to name only a few of those carried out while the firm was operating from Trowbridge.
George Haden’s son and grandsons played
their part not only in industry but also
in the general life of Trowbridge, as
members of the local authority,
Magistrates, and sincere and generous
supporters of their
church, the Tabernacle Congregational
Church. In successive
generations, members of the family
endowed the Tabernacle with most of
of ancillary buildings, including the
fine gymnasium, and gave the town a
new bandstand in
the park in memory of the founder of
the firm; and their
interest in and voluntary
for the cause of local education was given
permanent recognition in the naming of the
Nelson Haden Schools, opened shortly
before the war.
firm of Haden established in 1816 had the
misfortune to find that its centenary occured
during the first World War and its 125th
anniversary during World War II. This prevented
the distribution of any commemorative publications
to celebrate these anniversaries, due to the firms
participation in the production of ordnance during
the first world war, and working on military
contracts for the Government during the second
No publication was made to commemorate the centenary but a limited issue was made to celebrate its 125th anniversary. This took the form of a simple booklet designed by G Nelson Haden, which showed a series of twelve advertisements which first appeared in the Architectural Press for 1941-1942.
The foreword to the booklet was written by G Nelson Haden in 1942 as shown below.
|When the year 1966 was reached, the firm for the first time in its history, was able to celebrate the anniversary with a commemorative publication understandably titled "Haden 150 years." During the year an exhibition of artefacts from the firm's historic past toured the regional offices of the company enabling the employees to enjoy contact with items that brought the firm's founders George and James "back to life."|
1991 a further anniversary was reached and another
booklet was published illustrating 175 years of
the firm's history. The Haden company must now
surely have become the Heating & Ventilating
industry's longest surviving firm, still trading,
which continues to use its original name.
The bicentenary year of the founding of the firm was only 9 years away, when the owning company in 2007 arbitrarily dropped the use of the Haden name. So a landmark opportunity for a H&V firm that started in the reign of George IV to celebrate its 200th anniversary was killed off.
George & James Haden were major installers of warm air stoves in Prisons, Gaols, and other Penal Institutions during the first half of Victoria's reign.
One such installation carried out between 1846 and 1848 is Springfield Gaol, now called HM Prison Chelmsford, in the county of Essex.
The Gaol was extensively remodelled between 1845 and 1848 to cater for the transition from the silent to the separate system of containing prisoners. One part of the rebuild involved enclosing the middle yard, making in into a central hall. A chapel was then built above the hall, and a basement was dug beneath. During this time the first heating system was installed. Before this time the cells were unheated with little or no ventilation.
An article printed in the Chelmsford Chronicle of December 1847 describes in some detail the new system of heating and ventilating the cells at all floor levels. An excerpt from this article is shown below.
A visit to the Wiltshire History Centre to research the Order Books of warm air stoves in the Haden Archive, found three entries for the supply of warm air stoves and Grilles to Springfield Gaol, Chelmsford.
The now unused basement area of the remodelled prison buildings, was originally used as a kitchen for vegetable and food preparation, and an original oven with a large cast iron front plate which survives. The oven was installed circa 1880 to enable the Prison to be able to bake its own bread.
The front plate of the oven is in remarkably good condition considering its age and usage.
There is visual evidence that there used to be a second oven sited opposite the surviving one.
of Trowbridge supplied several items of cooking
equipment for the Kitchen in addition to the bread
2 - iron steam boilers
3 - cooking boilers 45, 40, 35 gallon capacity for preparing gruel and broth.
3 - coppers
2 - 45 gallon cast iron steamers for potatoes.
1 - large roasting oven.
Cast iron frame & stove top.
The kitchen equipment is shown in the drawings below.
in the Scottish Borders
is a category Grade A
It was the residence of the Swinton family during the 19th Century with George and Anne Swinton being the owners from1839 to 1854. They had inherited the house in 1839 upon the death of Anne's father Samuel Swinton.
It is interesting to note in the Haden order book entry 1841 that the details of the warm air stove are in the name of Mrs Swinton. Samuel's widow Isabella remained in residence and is probably the Mrs Swinton referred to in the Haden order book entry. Samuel invested heavily in the house and it may be he planned the Haden heating system but after his death it was left to Isabella to actually organize having the heating system installed.
1841 Sept 25th Mrs Swinton Swinton House Nr Duns Berwick on Tweed
A wrot iron stove 541 see G H letter 23rd
Sent 15th Oct £9 - 1s - 11d
Hillier & May
This is the first example found in the UK with this style of wrought iron front plate
displaying top corner rose emblems. All later cast iron front plates had the
distinctive Haden portico top section
This nameplate shows a Royal Warrant which must relate to
the stoves they installed at Windsor Castle for George IV
The Haden stove provided warmed air to the lower floors
through a system of ducts and grilles all of which were
removed during the recent renovations. One exception was
a circular brass floor grille of the punched louvre 'hit & miss'
pattern with centre damper adjustment position.